- Plan to increase pension age sooner
The government plans to bring forward the date when the state pension age is raised from 65 to 68, Chancellor George Osborne will announce later.
- Storm brings fear of wind and floods
Large swathes of the UK are braced for a storm, bringing with it gale-force winds, possible travel disruption and the risk of coastal flooding.
- Nigella Lawson admits taking cocaine
TV cook Nigella Lawson admits taking cocaine but denies being an addict, while giving evidence in court.
- World dementia cases 'set to treble'
The number of people living with dementia worldwide is set to treble by 2050, according to a new analysis.
- 'No joy in killing' – Rigby accused
One of the men accused of murdering soldier Lee Rigby told police it gave him "little joy to approach anybody and slay them", the Old Bailey hears.
- Leg bone gives up oldest human DNA
The retrieval of high quality DNA from a 400,000-year-old human has opened up a new frontier in the study of our ancient ancestors.
- Mexico radioactive material found
Radioactive medical material – cobalt-60 – taken when a truck was stolen in Mexico has been found, and officials say it poses no health risk.
- Man held after police officer shot
Police arrest a 37-year-old man in connection with the shooting of a female police officer in Leeds.
- Peer 'misappropriated charity funds'
A crossbench peer has been accused by a charity of misappropriating more than £600,000 of its funds, to fund his own lifestyle, BBC Newsnight learns.
- 'Plebgate' row PC to sue Mitchell
PC Toby Rowland, the officer at centre of "Plebgate" row, is to sue former cabinet minister Andrew Mitchell for libel.